Spending huge amounts of our income on food became an annoyance to me. I'd rather go to Europe thank you very much!! We wanted four things, to eat well and enjoy our meals while keeping our weight and our expenses under control. Incentive was born and I started to do something about it. I hope to use this Blog to share what I've discovered.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Leavening agents

Leavening agents would just be bubbling brews without something to contain them.

Here’s where flour comes in.
There are lots of different types of flour used in bread, but the most commonly used in raised bread is wheat flour.

This is because wheat flour contains two proteins, glutenin and gliadin, which, when combined with water, form gluten.

As you knead the dough, the gluten becomes more and more stretchy.

This gum-like substance fills with thousands of gas bubbles as the yeast goes to work during rising.

No comments: