Spending huge amounts of our income on food became an annoyance to me. I'd rather go to Europe thank you very much!! We wanted four things, to eat well and enjoy our meals while keeping our weight and our expenses under control. Incentive was born and I started to do something about it. I hope to use this Blog to share what I've discovered.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Using Tofu

Many people don't use tofu and that's a shame. I buy a $2. package of extra firm tofu and use it with all my cooking. Tofu is so healthy, prevents cholesterol and is recommended in most healthy diets.

I open the package and slice the tofu in 1/8 to 1/4 in thick slices.........then chop into 1/4 inch squares and use them in soups, spaghetti sauces and salads. Don't taste the tofu right out of the package. It has a very bland nothing taste at that stage but as you prepare it in your food it takes on the flavour of whatever it is being cook in and will seem like small squares of cream cheese in your food.

I also take the 1/4 inch slices and add them, along with kraft cheese slices, turkey slices, or salmon and quartered dill pickles to roll in a tortillia. After the tortillia is rolled I cool it in the fridge for a few minutes and slice into rounds for serving. Again the tofu tastes like everything else in the tortillia........only the lovely cool texture is left to increase the enjoyment of your lunch.

Any tofu left over I place in a small bowl, cover with water, seal with saran wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. Soft tofu can be used in desserts and although I don't have as much experience with using it I know it does make a lovely texture.

No comments: