Spending huge amounts of our income on food became an annoyance to me. I'd rather go to Europe thank you very much!! We wanted four things, to eat well and enjoy our meals while keeping our weight and our expenses under control. Incentive was born and I started to do something about it. I hope to use this Blog to share what I've discovered.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Learning to Shop and Cut Expenses

I never had to worry about a grocery budget. We enjoyed food and I always cooked from scratch but I could buy anything that caught my fancy and never think twice about it. Now with retirement and wanting to spend more on doing things and less on eating I find myself needing to learn new techniques to cut costs.

I've enjoyed the challenge and it's become a second hobby in my life. I haven't moved into coupons yet and I don't know if I will because I hesitate to hold up the people behind me in line in order to put through coupons but that may change depending on the deals I find. :)

There are many interesting and fun ways to cut your expenses. Of course being there for the sales and buying a little extra of what is on sale is one obvious way. Testing the 'No Name' products to see which are of high enough quality that you might substitute them for the more expensive Brand Name products.

Another very good trick is to plan a menu for the week and make a list of your grocery needs from that menu. If you make a list and stick to it you will throw away far less food from spoilage. I take the flyer from the Super Market and plan my menu around the sales for the week so what I'm putting on my list I know is already on sale.

We have moved away from the Giant Economy sized purchases in most cases but if they have canned tomatoes on sale I will buy as much as a case of them at the sale price. The same is true of other products that you use in many recipes. I keep extra bags of navy beans, red lentils, green and yellow beans in the cubboard so I can always whip up a soup in an hour or so.

There are many ways to cut expenses and for me it's a challenge I enjoy. I find satisfaction from not spending more than I need to and still having interesting, healthy and varied meals which include all points of the Canada Food plan.

No comments: